Friday, September 21, 2007

John Dahlsen

My recent work with beach debris has been inspired by the work of John Dahlsen . This is one of his works titled Catch 3.

A few years ago on Clean Up Australia Day I heard him talk about his work at the beautiful Tweed Regional Art Gallery. He spoke about the process of collecting materials and the way the sea transforms and shapes debris into beautiful forms.

Recently I've been working with rusted fishing tackle, discarded ropes and snagged fishing line found on the beach and interweaving these materials with natural fibres also found along the coast. As with Dahlsen I am interested in the wearing down of materials by natural forces and the process of collecting materials. I enjoy the colours and textures of rusted tackle and old ropes and enjoy the physical contact with materials.

No comments: